Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Stroke of genius

In my last post I talked about the Tervigon and how I'm trying to get it to look like the picture in the codex. I've been thinking and thinking about how to get the Tervigon done and I think my hobbyist ADD finally paid off.

I was sitting at my work desk this morning and looking at the two mostly painted warriors that I'm testing paint schemes on, the three Raveners that need bases made for them, the Tervigon, and the box with the Trygon in it. So instead of finishing anything I broke open the Trygon and started putting it together.

About a quarter the way through the clip, clean, scrape, glue process I'm looking at the little half stack pieces and think that they would be perfect glued together and put on the back of the Tervigon. That would be the third row that I desperately need. Switching between the Trygon's back and the Tervigon's back I figure I'd just go look at Ebay to find the Trygon bits I need. While pondering how I'm going to explain why I need to spend more money to my wife, it hits me. I'm looking right at the back of one of the Raveners. A Trygon is just a big Ravener. Quickly jumping on the thought I start looking at a dry fit of the pieces and how it would work and I'm off to the garage for the rotary tool (much faster than a handsaw). Thanks to habit of not finishing the whole model in one go I was able to find the peices that I need/want for a project. "Go team procrastination"

I was wanting to do up the Trygon special so that it didn't look like every other one out there. When I first started planning it out I was going to have it bursting out of a deckplate base. Then I saw one doing that and realized, that look wasn't for me. The one I've seen looks really good and it fits the theme of the creators army very well. It just didn't look like what I had pictured in my head.

After putting together the Raveners that I picked up for Golden Throne I'm liking this new idea. It will make my Trygon just a little bit different than everyone else's and still close enough to the original. I've decided to take out the last section of the tail before the tip, as well as move the main tail part out so it doesn't cross over the front of the body. I think it will look pretty good in the end. At least I hope so.

I'll have the pictures up when I get a little further along. I know, I know, promises, promises.


Until next time.

Tim.

No comments:

Post a Comment