Sunday, February 7, 2010

Credit

Giving credit where it's due. I've been spending the last few days head down on getting the models together for the Golden Throne prize. I do want to take a moment to say that I've picked up a couple of things to make this process a little faster or a little better for myself and mention those that I saw using them.
The first thing is a tool that I saw Les over at Awesomepaintjob using. It was in the intro to advanced techniques at the 6:35 mark and it is the Seam Scraper from Micro-Mark. This tool is really handy and I feel it is a much better design for getting rid of mold lines than using a hobby knife. That and the sound of a razor blade scraping on plastic was driving my wife nuts. The shipping from Micro-Mark is a tad high and since it was the same for any order under $50, I also bought a better set of clippers. The new clippers are the angled head kind with a small clip surface to get better cuts off of a sprue than my older clippers. I'm really liking these as well as the seam scraper. So except for the cost of shipping Micro-Mark has done me well and thank you to Les for showing me a new tool.

The second thing that I want to point out is a conversion that I saw another Tyranid player do for a Tervigon, over on Warpshadow. I have been kicking around ideas on how I'm going to get this model done and when I saw David's, I knew that was the route I was going to take. I followed the conversion almost exactly the same except for some minor differences. I chose to use one of the three spout infestation markers on one side and one of the two spout on the other. Sanding them down with a rotary tool to get them as flush as possible. I also am not fond of the scything talons being off of the base, so I've taken the medium sized talons from the Trygon kit and the smaller set from the Carnifex kit in an effort to keep them on the base. I have added a couple of the spikes from the Trygon to the head as well to get the face more like the one in the codex. I want to get the Tervigon as close to the one in the book as I can and there is one detail that is missing in my WIP that I really want to get there, and that is the third row of Stacks. I'm not totally sure how I'm going to do it but I'll figure something out. Once I have some good pictures of it I'll be sure to put them up here.

In the end I just wanted to take the time today to thank those that have changed the ways I do things in my own projects.
 
Until next time.
 
Tim.

No comments:

Post a Comment